Sunday 6 January 2013

Mumbai action

Unfortunately yesterday (Saturday) I started with a little Bombay belly, call it what you will. I wasn't missing the Mumbai local tour though, I've seen too many of Deepa's photos of our lunch time stop, Swati Snacks. (Besides Mrs Tapley had assured me she was sending me off with the very tablets we needed, just in case).

I can't tell you how different Mumbai is to the other places we've been. As Deepa said when we chatted briefly yesterday, 'it's like a different country'. John and I can put aside our cross trainers for a few days and wiggle our toes in flip flops enjoying the sun and clean streets.

Now it seems a shame to imagine that the cities where we have been will ultimately fall into line with the rest of the cosmopolitan world. Oh, there's no keeping me happy - I'm an idealist!

Anyway, we met our guide, the delightful Eshwari across the road near the Gateway to India. Eshwari is bright and bubbly and studying humanities in Mumbai. Eshwari's friend was also doing a tour with a young American lady, Ariene. After our morning wander, Ghandhi Museum visit and hop on a bus and cab we all met up for a real giggly girls (and John) lunch at Swati Snacks, it was a real tonic. I only wish I could have indulged in some more of the tasty treats. My favourite was a daal served with a soft buttered bun - comfort food.

I slept from 2pm when we returned until 9am this morning. Apart from home, I can't think of a nicer place than the Taj Palace in Mumbai to be poorly in (I had the curtains closed all day - sorry Mum!)

Sunday 6 January
A very leisurely start and feeling tip top again today. We wandered across to The Gateway to catch a ferry to Elephanta Island for a couple of hours. It's popular with locals who pay just 10 rupees for their ticket, jolly foreigners (as John keeps calling us) cost 250 rupees.

This evening we went to the Regal Cinema to watch Dabangg 2 - we were recommended as the best Bollywood choice for singing, dancing and action without the need to understand the words. First we all stood for the Indian national anthem. The movie was fabulous and the audience participate with laughter and encouragement too. I'm tempted to get it on rental when we get home then we can catch up on the in jokes we missed.

Pictures: 'new' laundry at the Taj
Poorly person elephant





1 comment:

  1. .... this diary just makes me smile....the 'ironing', the 'cheery elephant' , the 'closed curtains'. 'Swati Snacks'..... a trip to 'Elphanta Island and 'Bollywood' ......
    The perfect 'remedy' for the tired traveller!..make the most of all that pampering! xxxxxxxxxxx Mum

    ReplyDelete