Sunday 2 September 2012

Respect the Bee

In 2011 I had a goal to keep bees. I think I feel a curiosity and social responsibility about bees.  My Grandfather, Sam Wood kept bees in Garstang and brought a colony to Harrop some 35 or so years ago. My Dad was never a fan so they haven't been a permanent feature since. Last year I joined Blackburn Beekeepers and went along to several meetings in order to pick up some guidance. With the rising trend in bee keeping everything equipment and advice seemed very glossy and expensive.

At the end of last year I heard about a course run via the Offshoots Project at
Towneley Hall being promoted. Time has gone one, and I thought I had missed out so I kind of put the idea on the back burner for a while.  I was delighted when in July when I received an email offering me a place on a course to be run for 3 weekends in September.

Towneley Park is a beautiful and peaceful area in the midst of industrial Burnley. I say peaceful, but you can lose yourself in its 'hive' of activity. This morning on my way to the Walter Segal Cabin training room I passed golfers, runners, sunday morning football training, dog walkers and horses striding out with their riders on the Mary Towneley Loop.

On the course we are a mixed bunch of potential bee enthusiasm, from a guy doing research for a blog, a lady who runs a garden centre who is always being asked about plants for bees and a variety of smallholders, allotment owners and people with a little land for a personal or community project.

During the first two days of the course we have learnt about the essential part played by the bee in the pollination process worldwide and its very important contribution to food production. Alongside the importance of nurturing our honey bees we have covered anatomy, hives, colony and life cycles, bee breeds and the support from local and national groups like Blackburn Beekeepers.

With tomorrow being the start of the new school year and the next generation ready to be inspired, parents and teachers don't forget -
the bumble bee hasn't been told it can't fly, so what's to stop it?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good!! Look forward to the honey tasting party!!! x

    ReplyDelete